- Nutmeg Savings and Investment Limited – online investment management company. Member, Board Advisory Group (see www.nutmeg.com) -(2011 - )
- Loans Specialist Advisory Services Limited – specialist consultancy providing advice and solutions on loans and related activities to financial institutions and corporates. Senior adviser (see www.loanssas.com) - (2012 - )
- St Luke's Parochial Trust - community centre serving South Islington, endowments of £20m dating back to 16th century. Trustee, Chairman of Finance (see www.slpt.org.uk) -(2014 - )
- Institute of Operational Risk, Director and member of Council (2012 - )
- Worshipful Company of International Bankers, Liveryman; elected Court Assistant (2014 - )
- Insolvency Practitioners’ Association, lay member, Appeals Committee (2008 - ); Investigations Committee (2004-8)
- Chartered Institute of Securities & Investment, Member, Operational risk advisory group (2004 - )
Non-Executive Board Appointments
- Novae Group plc, retained adviser on risk management, member Risk Committee (2010-14)
- Novae Syndicates Limited, non-executive Director, member, Audit and Risk Committees, Novae Group plc (2003-10). Novae is a leading Lloyd's of London managing agency (see www.novae.com)
- CX Reinsurance Company Limited (CX Re), non-executive Director; member,
Audit Committee. CX Re is managed by Tawa Management Limited
(see www.tawa.net) - (2007-09).
- Chase Cooper Limited, non-executive Director. Chase Cooper Limited is a compliance solutions company specialising in operational risk management, corporate governance and business optimisation (see www.chasecooper.com) - (2004-09)
- Talbot Underwriting Limited, retained adviser on financial services regulation (2005-13)
- The Bankside Gallery, non-executive Chairman. The Gallery is the home of the Royal Watercolour Society and the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers.
(see www.banksidegallery.com) - (2005-14).
Mastering Operational Risk, Financial Times Prentice Hall (2010, 2nd ed Sept 2013, Chinese ed Oct 2013) (co-author)
Co-author, A Guide to Business Continuity Management (2001) (BBA/KPMG); senior editorial adviser, Operational Risk Workbook (2001-4) (CISI); Chapters in Advanced Operational Risk (2002) and Basel Handbook (2003, 2007)(Risk Books).
Numerous articles on risk issues for Operational Risk & Regulation (regular column 2003-6), Risk, The Treasurer, ICAEW, Mutually Yours, Chartered
View articles by John Thirlwell
Consulting and conferences
Guest lecturer at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge; Glasgow Caledonian, Coventry, East London, Plymouth universities’ business schools. International consultancy and training on operational risk, risk management, governance and regulatory issues. Frequent speaker and conference chair on risk management and financial services regulation in the UK and internationally.
Recent Executive Career Summary
Bankers' Association (1996 – 2003),
Director, Risk and Regulatory issues
• Leader in the UK banking industry response to the Basel Capital Accord proposals. Member of FSA advisory groups implementing the new regulatory regime.
• Effectively lobbied the Government for major amendments to:
Finance Act 1997, Local Government (Contracts) Act 1997, Insolvency
Act 2000, Enterprise Act 2002.
• Established world’s first banking industry database for operational losses; founding Chairman.
• Wrote and published contingency planning guides for Y2K for banks and for small businesses, exceeding sales and profit forecasts for each.
Hill Samuel Bank (1991 –
1996), Director and Head of Risk; Chairman, Group Credit
and Risk Committees.
TSB Bank (1985 – 1991)
Commercial Planning and Resourcing Manager (1988 – 91)
Deputy Head, Central Advances (1985 – 88)
Barclays Bank (1969 – 1985)
Advances Manager, Barclays International (1984 – 85)
Business Development Manager, City Region (1983 – 84)
Manager, Chairman and General Managers’ Office (1980 –
Financial Services Authority Approved Person (CF2) (2003 - 10); invited member, Expert Groups on Operational Risk and Solvency II (2009 - 13)
Lloyd's Market Association, Member, Risk Committee (2007 - 13)
International Chamber of Commerce, Chairman, UK Financial Services and Insurance Committee (2001 - 05)
Department of Health, non-executive Director, Foundation Trust Hospitals Financing Facility
(2004 - 05)
Former member of the FSA Prudential Sourcebook Advisory Panel, FSA Operational Risk Advisory Group, Bank of England Property Forum, CIPFA Treasury Advisory Panel, IFSL Liberalisation of Trade in Services Committee
Expert witness on regulatory, governance and banking matters for leading City law firms.
Chairman of Governors, Hartsbourne JMI School, Bushey, Hertfordshire (1993-7)
Academic and Professional Qualifications
Elected Fellow of the Institute of Operational Risk (2009)
Elected Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (1983)
Bar finals Part I (1975)
MA (Hons) and Open Clothworkers' Scholarship in English Language and Literature, St Catherine’s College, Oxford (1966 – 69)
Clubs: MCC (Life member)
Freeman, City of London
Member, Development Board, Tricycle Theatre, Kilburn (2000–4)
Frequent theatre-goer and infrequent actor; pianist; real tennis player at Lord’s
77 Defoe House, Barbican, London EC2Y 8DN
Tel: 020 7628 4749
Mob: 0781 382 9362
Download CV in pdf format